Thursday, December 8, 2011

First attempt: Icing Tutorial

A few people have asked how I make my icing.  Today I had to make some for a cake I'm doing, and thought why not try my first tutorial with something easy...  So here it is. I am not yet in the "tutorial potential" mindset so I didn't think of it till half way through my first batch and so the quantities in some of the pictures will look a little off. I started out using the Wilton recipe. But I can't really be bothered to measure it out.  Also being a mom of three I don't have the time to sift the icing sugar, I think I've only done that once.

So here we go...



You will need:
- Equal amounts Butter (or Margarine) and Vegetable shortening, softened
- Vanilla
- Icing Sugar
- Milk



 Cream shortening and butter together. And I mean really cream it, you shouldn't see any little butter clumps.  The key, I find, to making icing "fluffy" is to mix thoroughly after each addition.  Add in vanilla to suit your taste. If you want to color your icing later you don't really have to worry about having clear vanilla, but if you are wanting to leave it white then it is worth going out and finding it. 



 Add icing sugar a cup or so at a time. It will start looking very dry. Look for when it starts clumping or gathering in the beater.



With mixer still going, slowly add milk. Add in a little at a time to get it to the consistency you are wanting for the project you are doing.  I am a very hands on baker and so I will always test my icing. (Always with clean hands though!)  I like to feel if it will spread or pipe easily or if it needs more milk. As always remember to stop every once in a while and scrape the sides of your bowl and also empty out your beater with your spatula as well. 


 And there you have it! I hope it helps a little bit the next time you need a good icing recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...