Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chore Boards

So our kids have been getting really out of hand lately so I thought that maybe having a chore board and a reward system might help get things back on track. it has been a week and it is working amazingly well! Both me and my husband feel as though the boys have done a full mood change, and are even playing better together!  Our system is that for every 10 magnets they get they can either pick a movie or play video games for a time. ( N mostly picks the games and J picks the movies!)  If they are really good it can work out to a reward every second day, and right now it seems to be alternating so that has been nice! So here's what I did.

I found the spray paint ($2.50each) and cookie sheets ($6 for 2) on clearance. The magnet rolls, magnetic dry erase board and foam sheets are from the dollar store ($6 total) I had thought of using the foam sheets and magnet rolls for making my own achievement magnets but on my husbands suggestion I figured something else out that was a lot simpler and faster! I used some of the roll, but the foam will go into the craft bin for something later.

1. Before you spray paint, scuff up the surface a bit. I didn't have any sandpaper but I found a metal brush in my painting bin so I used that instead. 

2. Even though I scuffed the surface it still didn't get an even coating the first time. (that and it probably didn't help that it was only 1 degree C out!)

3. By the third coat it was all covered and good to go!

4. I also found some white acrylic paint in the paint bin, so no cost on that one this time! The shade of blue is a lot darker with indoor light, but I still like it.

5. Tape out a grid pattern and painted the lines. Two coats was enough. I thought I had taken a picture of the other lines but I guess I didn't. Oh well, you get the gist.

6. This is the grid in the end.  Far left side for the chore list and then seven columns for the days of the week and one at the far right to house unused magnets.

7. I printed out the days of the week on a thick card stock paper in the colors of the rainbow. I thought that maybe one day we could use that for J to learn his colors. I used the magnet roll to cut little pieces of magnet to place these on the board.
8. So my husband's thought for the achievement magnets was to just buy some ($1 per pack), which is a lot easier then what I had originally planned! But I discovered that in our big bag of stickers there were some round ones that fit on the magnets, which makes them look SO much cooler! (or at least I think so)

J's finished chore board. I took the magnetic dry erase board and cut it up to fit in the chore slots.  This way as they get older you can change the chores as needed.

And N's finished board!

So far I only have one up on the wall.  I wasn't sure how I was going to get them up, but it seems that the 3M wall adhesive works well.  The ones that are meant to hang pictures and look like Velcro. Now I just need to buy some more. I also had originally tried to do one with the green spray paint in the first picture, but that brand of paint didn't seem to want to adhere properly.  It took about 5 coats to get it looking good and then it all just peeled off! A little frustrating but I had lots of the blue paint left so they'll just have to look the same. I also printed their names out on the card stock that I did the days of the week, and have that at the top of the chore list. I just left that out of the pictures.

You can have a lot of fun with colors and magnets and make it totally custom for your child!
Have Fun!!!

‘My entry into Fingerprints on the Fridge’s Feature Yourself Friday, sponsored by Appliances Online and Bosch Washing Machines’ (add a link to your party too!)

1 comment:

  1. You have to love a project that results in better behavior from the kiddos! :)

    (Visiting from Feature Yourself Friday)


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...